RFI Engineering introduces an Indoor Gateway for Enterprise and Lightweight Industrial Applications: S-gateway
Amsterdam, January 31, 2018
RFI Engineering, a global provider of intelligent, connected and locatable technologies, today introduced the smart S-gateway. The new indoor gateway connects thousands of IoT devices and utilizes the power of LoRaWAN, a Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) network specification deployed for wireless battery-operated devices in Enterprise or Industrial networks.
The second-generation S-gateway is available at low cost and very easy to setup making it ideal for zero-touch high volume deployments. RFI Engineering allows the units to come pre-configured from the factory to automatically detect and configure itself, without any manual interaction, in a LoRaWAN network.
Key Benefits of the S-gateway:
- 8 channel radio design with PPS sync
- +15 dBm RF output power at 868MHz
- GPS time-sync for class B operations
- Small footprint and little power consumption
- Easy to deploy
“RFI Engineering’s strategy is to continue to leverage its position as a global Internet of Things and M2M solutions manufacturer offering carriers, utilities and enterprises a competitive edge by reducing their total cost of ownership,” said Ivo van Ling, Chief Executive Officer of RFI Engineering. “The indoor S-gateway is just another example of our commitment to LoRaWAN and provides capacity when and where customers need it.”
Key features of the S-gateway include:
- Semtech SX1308 Digital Baseband Chip and 2x SX1257 LoRa RF frontend
- Microchip AT91SAM9G25 MPU (ARM9@400Mhz)
- 128Mb DDR2 RAM
- Onboard GPS uBlox Max 8W receiver enabling concurrent reception of up to 3 GNSS (GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)
- GPS and PPS time-sync for class-B LoRaWAN operation
- Command line interface and Web interface for local & remote configuration
- Omni-Directional antenna with 3 dBi gain for 863–870 MHz ISM band
- Ethernet RJ-45 10/100 Base-T for wired IP backhaul
- Embedded RFI Linux 4.9.40; Patched with the latest security releases
- Consumes less than 5W sustained power
- Dimension 127.00L x 96.52W x 38.10H (mm)
- LoRaWAN compatible
The S-gateway is the latest addition to RFI Engineering’s growing family of base stations. The carrier-grade L-gateway base station radio performance and flexible configuration can reduce costs for both rollout and operation of public or private radio networks. The ruggedized modular design means the base station can be equipped with 1, 2 or 3 LoRa radio’s.
In combination with RFI Engineering’s gossip/consensus techniques available via the L-gateway base station we are today able to obtain a localization accuracy of under 50m with a 100ns statistical timestamping error, reduced further by the number of receiving base stations.
RFI Engineering will begin accepting orders for the European variant of the smart indoor S-gateway immediately. North-American and Asian variants will follow soon.
Tel.: +31 36 750 8268